Coming into the colder winter months is the perfect time to look at what de-pigmentation treatments you can do and begin tackling sun spots, freckles, melasma, and more.
This is the best time of year for these treatments as the weather is cooler and we tend to spend more time indoors. There are several critical reasons why you should avoid the sun when treating pigmentation.
- Less sun exposure - This is critical as after any depigmentation treatment your skin becomes incredibly sun-sensitive, similar to that of a sunburn. If you expose your skin to harmful UV rays post-treatment you can potentially affect the results of your treatments and cause the pigment to return.
- The skin is usually less tanned due to the decrease in sun exposure - It's incredibly important to not use/apply de-pigmentation treatments on tanned skin (both natural or fake tan) as this can lead to increased risks of burns, post-inflammatory pigmentation (PIH) and side-effects.
When it comes to de-pigmentation, we offer several different treatments and approaches to suit every individual's lifestyle and budget.
- Cosmelan - Our most popular depigmentation treatment. The topical application targets pigmentation and melasma through a deeply penetrating mask applied in the clinic and washed off at home after 8-12 hours depending on your skin type. It significantly reduces the blemishes caused by increased Melanin production by gently fading the pigment and suppressing further pigment from resurfacing. Typically there are 7 days of significant downtime where the skin is actively peeling and the skin can be pink for up to 4 weeks after. Makeup can be worn once the peeling has finished.
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) - CBL’s intense pulsed light targets darkened areas of sun-damaged skin such as freckles and sunspots, causing them to heat up, then break down and flake off. The process is called Photothermolysis. You may experience some temporary darkening of the treated lesions, which will begin to fade after about 5-7 days. IPL is done over a series of 4 sessions and your pigmentation will gradually reduce, leaving you with smooth and glowy skin. Some swelling is possible post-treatment but most people are able to go back to normal duties the day after treatment.
- Venus Viva Radio Frequency Skin Resurfacing - Targeted Radio Frequency stimulates the skin to increase the production of collagen to repair the damaged tissue and remodel existing collagen. The overall effect is skin rebuilding itself from the inside out, filling in acne scars, lines, and wrinkles, skin tightening, and improving irregularities like hyperpigmentation and discolouration. This is a great option for someone who wants to target other skin concerns alongside pigmentation. Typically 4 sessions are needed for maximum results and the treatment is suitable for all skin types.
If you’re unsure of what treatment is the most suitable for your pigmentation and skin, please book in a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced injectors to learn more and achieve the clear skin of your dreams. Consultations can be booked on 02 8041 5725 or book now.